Friday, July 24, 2009

Weekly Film News: Sam Raimi to direct Warcraft movie, Futurama to get new voice cast

In order to lend Plus Trailers some much needed credibility, every Friday I am going to be writing a little about the week’s film news. I will only be reporting on things that interest me – fans of Twilight will have to go elsewhere. In fact, if you want comprehensive or unbiased news coverage you’re probably looking in the wrong place. But if you can stand my poor grammar and nerdish rants about whatever it is that Hollywood is screwing up this week then by all means read on. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Sam Raimi, the director of the Spiderman and Evil Dead trilogies has signed on to direct a movie based on World of Warcraft, the wildly successful MMORPG. I’ve never been a gamer and so don’t really care about this property, but from what I understand about the games fantasy universe, Sam Raimi is a great choice.

James Cameron announced at San Diego Comic Con this week that on August 21st, select 3D and IMAX cinemas around the world will be screening fifteen minutes of Avatar, for free. This is an incredible and unprecedented piece of marketing, and will surely raise the buzz for the film to fever pitch. Personally, I don’t think I’ll watch the footage, simply because I want to go in unspoilt come the movies December release.

Above are the newly released posters for The Box (a high concept thriller directed by Richard Kelly), Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese's new film) and Jonah Hex (a supernatural/western based on a DC Comics series).

A new trailer for Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes was released, but I decided not to post it here because…it’s almost exactly the same as the old one, complete with ridiculous slow motion and explosions. If you want to watch it (there’s probably about 15 seconds of new footage), click here.

FOX has put out a casting call for voice actors to replace the original stars of Futurama. This is a pretty typical stunt from the network, and is presumably part of their hard bargaining tactics to get the original voice actors to lower their prices. I 'm betting they’ll figure something out and everything will be settled, but it's still a total dick move from FOX

DVDs

Pretty slim pickings this week in Australia. The only new releases worth mentioning are 24 Season 7, Friday the 13th (the recent remake) and Duplicity.

Sources: /Film, First Showing, Hey U Guys, Not all Texans ride horses to school, EzyDVD

Large Association of Movie Blogs