The folks over at the Internet Movie Database have released a list of the top 15 films, as ranked by the sites users, since the turn of the millennium. Like most people, I don't take IMDb ratings too seriously, but I have to say that this is a pretty great list. Although my list differs quite significantly, there's certainly nothing here that seems wholly undeserving. The IMDb list is as follows:
15. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
14. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
13. Spirited Away (2001)
12. The Pianist (2002)
11. The Lives of Others (2006)
10. The Departed (2006)
9. Amélie (2001)
8. Wall-E (2008)
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
6. Memento (2000)
5. Up (2009)
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
3. City of God (2002)
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
1. The Dark Knight (2008)
Obviously the fanboys are out in force giving Dark Knight the number one spot (don't get me wrong, I love that movie.) I have seen all these movies except for The Pianist. It's good to see some foreign and animated movies up there, and I'm especially pleased at the high ranking of Christopher Nolan's Memento (which is my favourite film of all time).
Anyway, this list inspired me to put together one of my one. Please note that I've simply ranked the Lord of the Rings films in chronological order, seeing as I find it impossible to differentiate between them (basically, I think of them as one really, really, really long movie). My list goes a little something like this:
15. The Mist (2007)
14. Oldboy (2004)
13. Grindhouse (2007)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
9. Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003)
8. Gone Baby Gone (2007)
7. American Psycho (2000)
6. Up (2009)
5. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
4. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
3. City of God (2003)
2. The Dark Knight (2008)
1. Memento (2000)
What are your thoughts? I know there are a few on my list that some people won't like one bit. Or do you disagree with IMDb? Leave your thoughts and your own lists in the comments below!
P.S. I just had to list a bunch of other films that didn't quite make my final cut. What can I say - I love movies!
Adaptation, Batman Begins, Bowling for Columbine, Casino Royale, Clerks II, Collateral, The Departed, Donnie Darko, Downfall, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, In Bruges, Inglorious Basterds, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Mary & Max, Michael Clayton, Rescue Dawn, Serenity, Slumdog Millionaire, Team America: World Police, Wall-E, Watchmen

15. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
14. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
13. Spirited Away (2001)
12. The Pianist (2002)
11. The Lives of Others (2006)
10. The Departed (2006)
9. Amélie (2001)
8. Wall-E (2008)
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
6. Memento (2000)
5. Up (2009)
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
3. City of God (2002)
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
1. The Dark Knight (2008)
Obviously the fanboys are out in force giving Dark Knight the number one spot (don't get me wrong, I love that movie.) I have seen all these movies except for The Pianist. It's good to see some foreign and animated movies up there, and I'm especially pleased at the high ranking of Christopher Nolan's Memento (which is my favourite film of all time).Anyway, this list inspired me to put together one of my one. Please note that I've simply ranked the Lord of the Rings films in chronological order, seeing as I find it impossible to differentiate between them (basically, I think of them as one really, really, really long movie). My list goes a little something like this:
15. The Mist (2007)
14. Oldboy (2004)
13. Grindhouse (2007)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
10. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
9. Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003)
8. Gone Baby Gone (2007)
7. American Psycho (2000)
6. Up (2009)
5. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
4. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
3. City of God (2003)
2. The Dark Knight (2008)
1. Memento (2000)
P.S. I just had to list a bunch of other films that didn't quite make my final cut. What can I say - I love movies!
Adaptation, Batman Begins, Bowling for Columbine, Casino Royale, Clerks II, Collateral, The Departed, Donnie Darko, Downfall, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, In Bruges, Inglorious Basterds, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Mary & Max, Michael Clayton, Rescue Dawn, Serenity, Slumdog Millionaire, Team America: World Police, Wall-E, Watchmen
