On the verge of solving a big case, New York detective Sam Tyler (Jason O’Mara) is struck by a car and wakes up in the year 1973. Unsure if he has travelled back in time, gone insane or is lying in a coma back in 2008, Sam finds himself teamed up with Lieutenant Gene Hunt (Harvey Keitel), a head bashing cop from the old school who does anything and everything to catch his man. Now, Sam must toe the line, and utilize his modern crime solving skill in order to police the world of 1973 without the help of forensics and other contemporary technology, while all the while trying to figure out how to get back home. Rounding out the cast is Michael Imperioli as Sam’s rival Detective Ray Carling, Jonathan Murphy as eager young cop Chris Skelton and Gretchen Mol as Sam’s confident and love interest, the underappreciated female officer Annie Norris.
I really disliked this Pilot. The concept is great, and of series that could be remade, this one did hold some promise. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it simply does not work. But I also realise that I am incapable of giving an unbiased view, as I absolutely adored the original series. Every time a new character was introduced, I couldn’t help but compare then to their English counterpart. O’Mara was not too bad in the leading role original played by the wonderful John Simm; he is certainly charismatic enough for the part, and his handling of the more comedic aspects of his character were very entertaining. He did falter a few times, especially during the scenes of desperation when he attempts to ‘make contact’ with 2008. Gretchen Mol was also passable in terms of her acting, but her supermodel appearance does not suit her character at all. Michael Imperioli on the other hand was downright terrible as the oafish Ray Carling. But worst of all was the atrociously miscast Harvey Keitel, whose performance was lazy and uninspired. I have never been a particularly big fan of Keitel’s anyway, but he is truly awful here, especially when compared the amazing performance of Philip Glenister
Everything else in this episode was just weak imitation. The direction is a shot for shot remake, most of the lines are spoken word for word, and yet somehow the produces have managed to avoid almost all the character development, wit and tension of the original. Even Hunt’s car is the same for God’s sake! There were only two things that I really enjoyed here. One was the great revelation delivered through the appearance of the twin towers, and the other was the very final scene, which ironically did not appear in the British version. The rest was the hour was simply agonizing. That being said, I cannot say for sure that my negative reaction was not simply because of my attachment to the original series. I asked several people who hadn’t seen the BBC version what they thought of this pilot, and while none of them loved it, they didn’t think it was all that bad either. I will watch a few more episodes to be sure, and I am interested to see what they do once they run out of episodes to remake. Until then though, I do not predict good things.
The premiere episode of Life On Mars will be playing in Australia at 10:40pm Saturday 7th February on Channel Ten.
Life On Mars will air weekly in Australia at 9:30pm Thursdays on Channel Ten.
Seasons 1 & 2 of the BBC version are available on DVD now.
Please leave any thoughts or comments you might have.