However, I am a Watchmen fanboy, and as such I cannot wait for the 186 minute directors cut version of the movie to hit DVD, with all those easter eggs and deleted scenes reinserted. Below is one of those scenes, featuring Zack Snyder's unique take of Hollis Mason's death (something that was entirely absent from the theatrical cut).
I really enjoy about half of this scene. The opening part with the gang members planning their assault is cringeworthy, and the phone conversation is pretty uninteresting. However, once we get into the fight scene, it is truly glorious. One of my problems with the film was how Zack Snyder would add his own little flourishes (like in the overly bloody 300-esque alleyway scene), but the way he has adapted what was a fairly standard scene in the comic is really ingenious; the slow motion actually feels appropriate and the use of music is incredible. It's also good to get a glimpse of Tales of the Black Freighter in the opening shot.
At the same time, I'm actually glad that this was cut. Despite liking the way the scene was shot, I have to admit that, given that Mason wasn't really fleshed out as a character in the film, his death doesn't really add much to the story, nor would it have much of an emotional effect on an audience not familiar with the comic. Cutting this scene also gives them the ability to cut the scene later on in the comic when Dan (Nite Owl II) finds out about Mason's death and flips out (another scene that will be reinserted in the directors cut). So while I do like the scene and will enjoy seeing it in the context of the movie on DVD, from a theatrical point of view I think it was a good omission.
The Watchmen Directors Cut will be available in the United State on DVD and Blu-ray from July 21st. There are no details available on the Australian release date.