In order to lend Plus Trailers some much needed credibility, every Friday I am going to be writing a little about the week’s film news. I will only be reporting on things that interest me – fans of Twilight will have to go elsewhere. In fact, if you want comprehensive or unbiased news coverage you’re probably looking in the wrong place. But if you can stand my poor grammar and nerdish rants about whatever it is that Hollywood is screwing up this week then by all means read on. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Darren Aronofsky’s next film is no longer going to be the reboot of RoboCop – instead, it will be The Black Swan, a supernatural drama about a ballet dancer (played by Natalie Portman) who finds herself in a competition with a rival dancer (played by Mila Kunis) who may or may not be real. I was really looking forward to seeing Aronofsky (who previously directed The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream) direct a big action movie, but this project sounds pretty interesting as well.
A sequel to 300 is apparently a possibility, with Frank Miller, the writer of the original comic, reportedly working on a second issue. I don’t think I’ve ever shared my feelings towards that movie on this blog; the short version is that I hate it with a fiery passion that consumes my soul. I don’t really even see how they could do a sequel…didn’t 299 die?
A bunch of trailers where released this week, for films including Tron: Legacy, Ninja Assassin, the Coen brother’s A Serious Man, Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, as well as the 3D re-release of Toy Story and Toy Story 2. You can view all those trailers here.
Finally, I have here the first track from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk, and it’s pretty freaking awesome. As I said in my write up of the recently released teaser, I have never seen the original Tron film, but this track and that footage both get me really excited.
DVDs
Only two notable DVD releases this week in Australia, but I plan on buying both of them immediately. Firstly, we have the two-disc special edition of Watchmen. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the directors cut version, so I'll probably end up double-dipping on this purchase.
Secondly, we have the second half of the fourth and final season of Battlestar Galactica. I have actually seen the ending already, but this was undoubtedly one of the best shows on television - both intelligent and action packed - and I can't wait to own it on DVD.
Sources: /Film, Movie Buzz, EzyDVD