Thursday, August 20, 2009

Weekly-ish Film News: Avatar, Kick-Ass & MILA KUNIS AND NATALIE PORTMAN MAKE SWEET SWEET LOVE!!!

Sorry about not writing a news post last week – school is really starting to pick up, and I suspect my posting rate will become increasingly erratic over the next couple of months. I know this will be hard for the legions of you (ha ha) who rely on me to keep you updated (after all, this is the only site on the entire internet that covers movie news!) But keep your chin up – after I finish my studies I’ll have nothing to do but blog, continuously and vapidly, until I completely exhaust the small amount of creativity I possess. For now, I’ll try to keep up some sporadic coverage of news…so enjoy it while you can!

Today, as many of you may know, is Avatar Day. And that means that the first trailer for James Cameron’s Avatar is finally here. You can watch the trailer here, and check out some new photos from the movie (like the one above) here.

Bootleg footage of the Iron Man II Comic-con trailer hit the web last week, but unfortunately it has since disappeared. So, if you haven’t seen it, you’ll just have to trust me when I tell you it was COMPLETELY FREAKIN’ AWESOME. Basically it was everything you wanted to see – highlights include some funny dialogue between Iron Man and Nick Fury (played in all his eye-patchy glory by Samuel L. Jackson), another funny scene in which Tony Stark refusing to hand over the Iron Man suit to the US government, as well as a cool introduction to the films villain, Whiplash, played by Mickey Rourke. And then finally, in the dying seconds of the footage, we get our first look at War Machine (played by Don Cheadle, replacing Terrance Howard), Iron Man’s mini-gun wielding sidekick. Like I said – it was awesome.

But Iron Man wasn’t the only bootleg footage to come out of Comic-con. We also got our first look at Kick-Ass, the new black comedy/superhero satire film from Matthew Vaughn (the director of Layer Cake). The movie is based on the ongoing comic series by Mark Millar, and stars Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski, a New York teenage who decides to become a superhero. The concept doesn’t sound that great, but the online buzz about this movie is that it is fantastically fucked up. I don’t know many specifics, but I do know that one of the films main characters is an eleven year old girl who moonlights as an assassin (see the picture above). Sounds like a recipe for success to me! Once again though, the footage has disappeared from the web - hopefully we'll see a proper trailer soon.

Remember that DreamWorks Animation movie that I told you about a few months ago? It’s called Oobermind…it’s about a reformed super villain? No? I probably wouldn’t remember either, seeing as the only thing remotely appealing about it (aside from the fact that it’s so blatantly an attempt to replicate the success of Pixar’s The Incredibles) was that it was going to star Robert Downey Jr. And now, it doesn’t even have that. The titular character will now be voiced by Will Ferrell, pretty much ending any interest I had in seeing the film.

And now that Downey isn’t involved in that project, he’s free to start talks to play the vampire “Lestat”, the main character of The Vampire Chronicles, a series of books by Anne Rice. Two books in the series have already been made into movies – Interview with a Vampire (in which Lestat was played by Tom Cruise), and Queen of the Damned. I haven’t read the books or seen either of these films, so I don’t really care about this piece of casting. However, a couple of my friends have objected pretty strongly to the news, so…I guess I’ll take their word for it and say that this (to quote one of them) “totally sucks.”

Two sequels have been announced over the past fortnight, both of which will make you question your faith in humanity. First is GI Joe 2 – the first movie has made around $US100 million dollars already, which I guess was all the excuse they needed. I haven’t seen the movie (and I sort of doubt I ever will), but just the idea of a GI Joe 2: Revenge of the…whatever sort of makes me shudder. But it gets worse. We’ve also gotten confirmation on White Chicks 2. Now, not only did I not see White Chicks, but I don’t think I know anyone who did. Why they would feel the need to make a sequel is beyond me…oh well…it’s not like I’m going to watch it.

Finally, I have an intriguing piece of news about The Black Swan, the upcoming film from Darren Aronofsky, director of The Wrestler and Reqiuem for a Dream. Now, I've already writen a little about this flick, which is some kind of supernatural drama about a ballerina (Portman) who finds herself locked in competition with a rival dancer (Kunis) who may or may not be real. But what we've learned this week, via a script review over at ScriptShadow.com, is that in the movie "Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis have sex…And not just nice sweet innocent sex either. We’re talking ecstasy-induced hungry aggressive angry sex."

Now, I don't want to overplay the significance of this. Based on the talent of the people involved, I was already interested in seeing this movie. However...let's be honest...this new piece of information may be the single greatest piece of information in the entire history of pieces of information, or the history movies, or the history of hot steamy lesbian sex! I'm trying really hard not to be a sleazy arsehole here, but come on! That's freakin' fascinating, and if I hadn't already been sold on the movie, this would probably have single handedly convinced me to buy a ticket. That being said, one incredible scene does not make a movie - just look at Mulholland Drive. Okay, bad example - most people love that movie. But I hated it, despite Naomi Watts and Laura Harring getting...horizontal.

DVDs

The last fortnight hasn't afforded Australia much in the way of movies on DVD, but we have seen a ton of awesome TV shows get their due diligence. New releases include Mad Men Season 2, Californication Season 2, Dexter Season 3, The Shield Season 6, and last but certainly not least, Battlestar Galactica (the new version) The Complete Series on DVD and Blu-ray.

Sources: /Film, Hey U Guys, Not all Texans ride horses to school, Movie Buzz, EzyDVD

Large Association of Movie Blogs