Sunday, January 17, 2010

Awesome Scene Sunday: "I have conquered Europe all by myself"

If you spend anywhere near the amount of time on the internet as I do, you'll know that any time anything newsworthy takes place, it won't be long before we get a video of Hitler getting angry about it. Maybe he's frustratrated about Window's Vista, or maybe he just can't believe John McCain picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate. Or maybe, as you'll see below, he's not happy with the way Quentin Tarantino ending Inglourious Basterds (spoilers for that film ahead).



Now most of you have probably seen this clip, but I don't know how many of you actually know where it's from. The original scene (which as you may have guessed, is this weeks scene) comes from Oliver Hirschbiegel's 2004 film Downfall (German title: Der Untergang). Recently, Hirschbiegel addressed the internet meme, saying that "You couldn’t get a better compliment as a director".

I'm certainly glad the man enjoys them. Personally though, while I have had the occasional chuckle at clips like the one above, I do think it's a shame that THIS is the reason the film with be remembered. In all seriousness, Downfall is probably one of the best war films ever made and features what is in my mind the best lead performance of the last decade. If you haven't seen the film then I cannot recommend it highly enough. In the mean time, let's set the record straight.