A few months ago I wrote a piece about the first trailer for I Love You Phillip Morris, a piece I called "Are you gay for Phillip Morris?" The film has gotten a lot of attention due to the fact that it was centered around a gay couple; con man Steven Russell (played by Jim Carey) and his lover who he meets in prison, the eponymous Phillip Morris (played by Ewan McGregor). To refresh your memory, here's that first trailer again.
Now, here's the second trailer
Honestly, I think this trailer is a lot better, for a couple of reasons. It definitely makes the film more appealing to your average movie goer I think; it focuses more on the comedy and con-man aspects of the film and less on the romance. To it's credit however it doesn't attempt to hide the romance (not that it could). But it doesn't make it a big deal, and honestly that's one of the things I like best about it. The first trailer really flaunts (pun intended) the main characters homosexuality. This trailer on the other hand doesn't seem to attempt to play it up or down; it's just there. Which is really how it should be treated.
But enough about how gay it is (or isn't). There is a movie here besides the romance, and after this trailer I think it's probably going to be a good one. The gags all looked funny, the story pretty entertaining, and I am (though somewhat embarrassed to say it) a pretty big Jim Carrey fan. And it'll be good to see him in a role that is a mixture of his normal goofy faces comedy and some more heavy emotional weight. Of course I probably won't get to see him; I can't imagine this film will hit Australia any time soon. Sigh.
I Love You Phillip Morris will be in theatres in the US from March 26th
Now, here's the second trailer
Honestly, I think this trailer is a lot better, for a couple of reasons. It definitely makes the film more appealing to your average movie goer I think; it focuses more on the comedy and con-man aspects of the film and less on the romance. To it's credit however it doesn't attempt to hide the romance (not that it could). But it doesn't make it a big deal, and honestly that's one of the things I like best about it. The first trailer really flaunts (pun intended) the main characters homosexuality. This trailer on the other hand doesn't seem to attempt to play it up or down; it's just there. Which is really how it should be treated.
But enough about how gay it is (or isn't). There is a movie here besides the romance, and after this trailer I think it's probably going to be a good one. The gags all looked funny, the story pretty entertaining, and I am (though somewhat embarrassed to say it) a pretty big Jim Carrey fan. And it'll be good to see him in a role that is a mixture of his normal goofy faces comedy and some more heavy emotional weight. Of course I probably won't get to see him; I can't imagine this film will hit Australia any time soon. Sigh.
I Love You Phillip Morris will be in theatres in the US from March 26th