Sunday, March 7, 2010

2010 Oscar predictions/results

In just a few hours the winners of the 82nd annual Academy Awards will be announced, and so before they do I thought I'd get in with my last minute predictions. I'll be at uni for much of the ceremony, but hopefully I'll be home before they finish and will be able to update the bigger awards in real time. In the meantime, you can find a bunch of my fellow bloggers and movie enthusiasts live-tweeting the ceremony here. My predictionse (and the results) are as follows:

BEST PICTURE

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up In The Air

WHO SHOULD WIN
Up

WHO WILL WIN
The Hurt Locker

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
The Hurt Locker

BEST DIRECTOR

THE NOMINEES
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
James Cameron - Avatar
Lee Daniels - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Jason Reitman - Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds

WHO SHOULD WIN
Kathryn Bigelow

WHO WILL WIN
Kathryn Bigelow

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Kathryn Bigelow

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

THE NOMINEES
Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
George Clooney - Up in the Air
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Morgan Freeman - Invictus
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker

WHO SHOULD WIN
George Clooney (I haven't seen Crazy Heart)

WHO WILL WIN
Jeff Bridges

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Jeff Bridges

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

THE NOMINEES
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Helen Mirren - The Last Station
Carey Mulligan - An Education
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia

WHO SHOULD WIN
Carey Mulligan (I haven't seen The Blind Side, The Last Station or Julie & Julia)

WHO WILL WIN
Sandra Bullock

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Sandra Bullock

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

THE NOMINEES
Matt Damon - Invictus
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger
Christopher Plummer - The Last Station
Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

WHO SHOULD WIN
Christoph Waltz (I haven't seen The Messenger or The Last Station)

WHO WILL WIN
Christoph Waltz

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Christoph Waltz

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

THE NOMINEES
Penelope Cruz - Nine
Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
Mo’Nique - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire

WHO SHOULD WIN
Mo'Nique (I haven't seen Nine or Crazy Heart)

WHO WILL WIN
Mo'Nique

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Mo'Nique

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

THE NOMINEES
Neill Blomkamp - District 9
Nick Hornby - An Education
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche - In the Loop
Geoffrey Fletcher - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner - Up in the Air

WHO SHOULD WIN

In the Loop

WHO WILL WIN
Up in the Air

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Precious

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

THE NOMINEES
Mark Boal - The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds
Oren Moverman - The Messenger
Joel and Ethan Coen - A Serious Man
Pete Docter and Bob Peterson - Up

WHO SHOULD WIN
A Serious Man

WHO WILL WIN

Inglourious Basterds

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
The Hurt Locker

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

THE NOMINEES
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of the Kells (I've never heard of it either)
Up

WHO SHOULD WIN

Up

WHO WILL WIN

Up

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Up

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

THE NOMINEES
Ajami - Israel
El Secreto de sus Ojos - Argentina
The Milk of Sorrow - Peru
A Prophet - France
The White Ribbon - Germany

WHO SHOULD WIN
I've only seen A Prophet

WHO WILL WIN
A Prophet

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
El Secreto de sus Ojos

BEST DOCUMENTARY

THE NOMINEES
Burma VJ
The Cove
Food, Inc
The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers
Which Way Home

WHO SHOULD WIN
I've only seen The Cove

WHO WILL WIN
The Cove

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

The Cove

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The White Ribbon

WHO SHOULD WIN

Avatar

WHO WILL WIN
The Hurt Locker

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Avatar

BEST FILM EDITING

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Precious

WHO SHOULD WIN
The Hurt Locker

WHO WILL WIN
The Hurt Locker

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

The Hurt Locker

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

THE NOMINEES
James Horner - Avatar
Alexandre Desplat - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders - The Hurt Locker
Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes
Michael Giacchino - Up

WHO SHOULD WIN
Up

WHO WILL WIN

Up

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

Up

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

THE NOMINEES
"Almost There" - The Princess and the Frog
"Down in New Orleans" - The Princess and the Frog
"Loin de Paname" - Paris 36
"Take It All" - Nine
"The Weary Kind" - Crazy Heart

WHO SHOULD WIN
I've only seen The Princess and the Frog

WHO WILL WIN
"The Weary Kind"

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
"The Weary Kind"

BEST ART DIRECTION

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Nine
Sherlock Holmes
The Young Victoria

WHO SHOULD WIN

I've only seen Avatar and Sherlock Holmes

WHO WILL WIN
Avatar

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Avatar

COSTUME DESIGN

THE NOMINEES
Bright Star
Coco avant Chanel
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Nine
The Young Victoria

WHO SHOULD WIN
I have seen none of the nominees

WHO WILL WIN
Bright Star

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
The Young Victoria

BEST MAKEUP

THE NOMINEES
Il Divo
Star Trek
The Young Victoria

WHO SHOULD WIN
I've only seen Star Trek

WHO WILL WIN
Star Trek

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Star Trek

VISUAL EFFECTS

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
District 9
Star Trek

WHO SHOULD WIN

Avatar

WHO WILL WIN

Avatar

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
Avatar

SOUND MIXING

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

WHO SHOULD WIN

I don't know the difference between sound mixing and sound editing

WHO WILL WIN
Avatar

AND THE OSCAR GOES TOO...

The Hurt Locker

SOUND EDITING

THE NOMINEES
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Up

WHO SHOULD WIN
See above

WHO WILL WIN
The Hurt Locker

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
The Hurt Locker

BEST SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

THE NOMINEES
The Door
Instead of Abracadabra
Kavi
Miracle Fish
The New Tenants

WHO SHOULD WIN
I have seen none of the nominees

WHO WILL WIN

I have no idea

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...
The New Tenants

BEST SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

THE NOMINEES
French Roast
Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
The Lady and the Reaper
Logorama
A Matter of Loaf and Death

WHO SHOULD WIN
I have only seen A Matter of Loaf and Death

WHO WILL WIN
A Matter of Loaf and Death

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

Logorama

BEST DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)

THE NOMINEES
China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province
The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner
The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
Music by Prudence
Rabbit à la Berlin

WHO SHOULD WIN

I have seen none of the nominees

WHO WILL WIN

I have no idea

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

Music by Prudence