Thursday, January 15, 2009

Clerks on DVD

I am a huge fan writer/director Kevin Smith; I own almost all his movies (which include Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back) and am a faithful listener of SModcast, his weekly podcast. The movie that launched his career was the 1994 film Clerks, a ultra low budget black and white X rated comedy about a day in the life of two convenience store clerks. For over a year I had been unable to find the movie in any store in Melbourne, but the film was recently rereleased on DVD (and reclassified MA15+, down from an R18+) and is now available for $13 at K-Mart. The recent wave of raunchy comedies such as 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad and more recently Role Models all owe a lot to Clerks, and fans of those films should check it out.

Kevin Smith's latest film Zack and Miri Make A Porno, staring Seth Rogen and Elizabeth Banks will be released in Australia on February 19th. It is rated R18+