Friday, January 16, 2009
Trailer - Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
You know it's a bad sign when the franchises lead actress dosn't return for the third installment. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (lycan, by the way, is just a pretentious word for werewolf) is a prequel to Underworld (2003) and Underworld: Evolution (2006). The films, as I understand it, are about the continuing war between Vampires and Werewolves, and although I have never seen them, I know a few of my friends are big fans. Then again, they do have a 30% and a 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. Honestly, these films have never appealed to me...I think it's all the snarling. What a turnoff.
This movie looks as though it's trying to be dark and brooding; the music, the editing, the 3D text that flies at you. Also, the use of blue and black in every single scene. I know they're vampires, but that dosn't mean you can't have some bright colours. Maybe a cheerful painting of sunflower on the wall. Some of the lines elecit major groans ("you've defied me for the last time"? That's quality screenwriting). What's even worse is that the lines are being delivered by legitimately good actors. True, Rhona Mitra (Shooter, The Number 23) couldn't act her way out of a paper bag, but Bill Nighy, who plays the vampire king, is a golden globe winner! And Michael Sheen as the leader of the werewolf revolution? You sir lose all points gained from Frost/Nixon! I hope these two got a lot of money for sale of their eternal souls.
I will admit some of the action looks alright, but I suspect that this film will have had a lower budget than either of the others. It also looks as though it's set in the past, so it looses one key advantage the other films had: slow motion gunfights. All in all, I think I'll pass.
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans will be released in Australian cinemas on the January 22nd