Saturday, July 11, 2009

Trailer - District 9



I've been talking this movie up for some time now. So far we've seen an awesome teaser trailer and some other really incredible pieces of viral marketing, including bus stop adds and a totally immersive website. Now at last we have a full length trailer which showcases more of the story and some badass special effects. District 9 is definitely one of my most anticipated films of the season, and my only concern (and this is going to sound extremely idiotic) is that I might not be able to handle the South African accents. It's just that anytime I hear someone speaks in those tones, I hear one of two things:

"God left this place a long time ago"

or

"I have diplomatic immunity!"

District 9 is based on a short film called Alive in Joburg (link here), also directed by Neill Blomkamp. The South African born film-maker is probably best known for directing the Citroen 'Alive With Technology' commercial, as well as a series of short films based in the universe of the Halo games, known collectively as Landfall. Blomkamp was hired to direct the feature film version of the game, but the project has since been put on hold.

According to /Film, District 9 tells the story of Wikus (Sharlto Copley), a Multi-National United agent who becomes infected by alien biotechnology. He must go on the run from the oppressive government into district 9, a internment camp where “non-humans” have been forced to live since landing on Earth nearly 30 years ago.

District 9 will be in cinemas from August 14th