Saturday, July 11, 2009

Weekly Film News: Capitalism, Resident Evil 4, Alice in Wonderland & Ryan Reynolds is The Green Lantern

In order to lend Plus Trailers some much needed credibility, every Friday Saturday Sunday I am going to be writing a little about the week’s film news. I will only be reporting on things that interest me – fans of Twilight will have to go elsewhere. In fact, if you want comprehensive or unbiased news coverage you’re probably looking in the wrong place. But if you can stand my poor grammar and nerdish rants about whatever it is that Hollywood is screwing up this week then by all means read on. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Well, I’m back from Sydney and have been posting like a fiend as I try to catch up with all the newly released trailers. Previews for some of the northern hemispherical summer’s biggest films hit the web while I was away, including Jennifer’s Body, Funny People & District 9. To watch these and other recently released trailers, click here.

This week also saw three awesome new posters; one for Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds, as well as one for each of the aforementioned movies District 9 and Jennifer’s Body. All great posters and all of them films I’m really looking forward to.

Apparently a fourth Resident Evil movie is in the works with the title Resident Evil: Extinction. I actually liked about half of the first and third films, but am by no means in any way excited for part four, which is set to be released on September 17 2010. Paul W.S. Anderson is writing - no word on whether Milla Jovovich will return.

Photos (or concept art?) from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland have been released, all sporting the oddball director’s signature style (of which I am not a fan). The film has an amazing supporting cast - including Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter (pictured), Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, Anne Hathaway as the White Queen and Alan Rickman as The Smoking Caterpillar – and I know a lot of people are really excited for it. But honestly, if I want to see a bizarre gothic take on this classic story, I’ll take Marilyn Manson’s version over Burton’s any day. More photos can be seen here.

The title for Michael Moore’s new movie has been announced as Capitalism: A Love Story. Centred around the recent economic downturn and the US government bailout, the film is set to hit theatres in America on October 2nd; the teaser trailer can be viewed here.

Finally, after a week of speculation (which I completely missed), Ryan Reynolds has been cast as Hal Jordan aka The Green Lantern in the upcoming film adaptation of the DC Comic hero. I couldn’t be happier with this choice – Reynolds is a great personality and his cameo was one of the few highlights of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. What this means for his role as Deadpool in the Marvel Universe remains to be seen, but regardless, this is a great decisions (especially after all that talk about casting Justin Timberlake!)

DVDs

In the two weeks since I last posted a DVD update, Australians have seen a bunch of movies hit the shelves, including Rachel Getting Married, W., It's A Free World, Bolt, Lakeview Terrace & Ghost Town.

Additionally, several awesome TV show have been released on DVD. Firstly, I cannot recommend highly enough the first season of Breaking Bad, a black comedy/drama series about a Chemistry teacher who starts cooking and selling crystal meth. A show that deals with similar subject is Weeds, the third series of which was also released this week. Finally, season one of the Alan Ball created vampire drama True Blood was released - I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard from a bunch of people that it is excellent, and I love Ball's previous series Six Feet Under, so I can't wait to check True Blood out.

Sources: /Film, Coming Soon, First Showing, Not all Texans ride horses to school, Movie Buzz, EzyDVD

Large Association of Movie Blogs