Genre: Drama
Director: Jason Reitman
Starring: George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick, Jason Bateman
Running Time: 109 minutes (plus trailers)
“How much does your life weigh?”
Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) is a man who lives his life with as little human connection as possible; something that he is very proud of. He works as a corporate downsizer, a man whose job it is to fly all around the country and fire people, for bosses unwilling to do the dirty work themselves. He also gives the occasional motivational speech, preaching his philosophy of anonymity and freedom from relationships. But Ryan’s world view is soon challenged when two women are introduced into his life. The first is Rachel (Anna Kendrick), a young ambitious coworker determined to change the way Bingham does business; the second is Alex, a woman who’s beliefs are so similar to Bingham’s own that they may be destined for one another. Directed by Jason Reitman’s, who previously made Juno and Thank You For Smoking (the latter a recent inductee into my Top 10 films of the Decade), Up in the Air once again demonstrates his enormous talents as both a screenwriter and a director, providing us with one of the most mature and insightful (if, dare I say it, a tad over-rated) films of the past twelve months.
Up in the Air has received enormous amounts of critical attention and praise – so much so that there is a list on Wikipedia dedicated solely to the awards and nominations received by Up in the Air. The aspect of the film that has been most lauded is the script; adapted by Reitman and Sheldon Turner from the book by Walter Kirn, the screenplay has won more than a dozen critics guild awards, took home the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay, and is virtually guaranteed to receive a nomination and a win for Best Adapted Screenplay at this year’s Academy Awards. I however am always unsure; when you praise a script, what exactly are you saying? Are you praising the dialogue or the structure; the way each individual scene is put together, or the overarching story and characters?
Individually, each scene is incredibly well written. The dialogue is almost universally terrific, providing both humour and emotional insight. Clooney’s voiceover adds a lot; he makes Ryan Bingham, a man who lives a life that so few of us can identify with, feel like a real, well rounded person. Likewise, Anna Kendrick is sensational as Rachel; a young woman whose determined professional demeanor hides a more vulnerable core, who finds herself faced with a choice: get out now or risk becoming like her mentor. Both Clooney and Kendrick deserve (and will probably receive) Oscar nominations for their work in this film. Additionally, there is a lot of depth here in many of the themes the movie explores; relationships, isolation, the impersonal nature of technology and of course the economic crisis. The film is subtle enough not to hit you straight over the head with these things, but I certainly left Up in the Air thinking hard about my own philosophy for life.
It’s not all good though. I have three rather large complaints about the script/story of Up in the Air; three complaints that hold it back in my mind from being one of the best films of 2009. Firstly, in terms of A to B plot, it’s very predictable. You generally know where the story is going to go, you sometimes see the payoffs coming long before they actually arrive and the reveal involving Vera Farmiga’s character was not at all surprising. My second complaint is of Vera Farmiga’s character in general; Alex describes herself in one scene to Bingham as “like you, but with a vagina” and nothing could be more accurate. She is extremely important to Bingham’s growth in the film, but the problem is that I never felt she had any purpose or personality outside of their relationship. It was perhaps unavoidable; this is after all Bingham’s story not hers, and so we can hardly expect to spend as much time with her. Never the less, I can’t help but feel that she was more a plot point than an actual person.
My third complaint is one that I struggled with for some time; there was something about the film as I was watching it that bothered me, but it took me quite a long time to figure out what it was. Finally I stumbled upon it. Early on in the film, Rachel introduces the concept of using internet conferencing as a means of firing people, essentially making Bingham’s job obsolete. The rest of the film deals primarily with Rachel and Bingham on the road, making layoffs and slowly introducing the new technology. There is essentially no conflict. Although Bingham puts up a brief fight in an earlier scene, the introduction of the technology is inevitable; this movie is simply the man’s last few weeks on the job. I’m not even entirely convinced this is a complaint, but it’s so strange watching a film in which the main character has no real overarching goal or purpose (other than his strange quest to achieve ten million frequent flyer miles).
Like so many, I’ve spent a great deal of time talking about the script, so let me now briefly address a few other points. Reitman’s direction is excellent as always; the aerial photography is terrific, but even when filming something as mundane as a conference room or office block the movie looks beautiful. This is a film that captures the ordinary with a simple and beautiful grace you rarely see. My one complaint of the cinematography would be the use of handheld video during a wedding scene, although I understand why it was done. The soundtrack is strong, and as I previously mentioned, the acting is terrific – even Farmiga playing a fairly shallow character is completely believable. The excellent supporting cast includes two of Reitman’s favourites (and my own) Jason Bateman and JK Simmons, as well as Danny McBride in a surprisingly effective dramatic turn, and extended one-scene cameos by the always excellent Sam Elliot and promising newcomer Zach Galifianakis.
Up in the Air is a film that I know has had a great emotional effect on a lot of people, and is frequently ranking amongst the favourites of critics for the year 2009. Although it wasn’t one of the standouts for me (you can see my Top 10 of 2009 here), it is definitely a movie worth watching. I almost feel that I’m ranking it too low, and I suspect on repeat viewings I will like it more. Maybe it’s my age; this is a movie about maturing relationships, about how you live your life; many of the struggles Bingham and the other characters face I simply cannot identify with (I’ve never had the displeasure of being fired). Never the less, there is a genuine human feel to this story that everyone can relate to.

Up in the Air is in cinemas now
P.S. What follows is one of my favourite trailers of the past twelve months. I'm thinking about writing something about the best trailers of the year (this blog is called Plus Trailers after all). Who'd be interested?

Director: Jason Reitman
Starring: George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick, Jason Bateman
Running Time: 109 minutes (plus trailers)
“How much does your life weigh?”
Up in the Air has received enormous amounts of critical attention and praise – so much so that there is a list on Wikipedia dedicated solely to the awards and nominations received by Up in the Air. The aspect of the film that has been most lauded is the script; adapted by Reitman and Sheldon Turner from the book by Walter Kirn, the screenplay has won more than a dozen critics guild awards, took home the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay, and is virtually guaranteed to receive a nomination and a win for Best Adapted Screenplay at this year’s Academy Awards. I however am always unsure; when you praise a script, what exactly are you saying? Are you praising the dialogue or the structure; the way each individual scene is put together, or the overarching story and characters?
It’s not all good though. I have three rather large complaints about the script/story of Up in the Air; three complaints that hold it back in my mind from being one of the best films of 2009. Firstly, in terms of A to B plot, it’s very predictable. You generally know where the story is going to go, you sometimes see the payoffs coming long before they actually arrive and the reveal involving Vera Farmiga’s character was not at all surprising. My second complaint is of Vera Farmiga’s character in general; Alex describes herself in one scene to Bingham as “like you, but with a vagina” and nothing could be more accurate. She is extremely important to Bingham’s growth in the film, but the problem is that I never felt she had any purpose or personality outside of their relationship. It was perhaps unavoidable; this is after all Bingham’s story not hers, and so we can hardly expect to spend as much time with her. Never the less, I can’t help but feel that she was more a plot point than an actual person.
Like so many, I’ve spent a great deal of time talking about the script, so let me now briefly address a few other points. Reitman’s direction is excellent as always; the aerial photography is terrific, but even when filming something as mundane as a conference room or office block the movie looks beautiful. This is a film that captures the ordinary with a simple and beautiful grace you rarely see. My one complaint of the cinematography would be the use of handheld video during a wedding scene, although I understand why it was done. The soundtrack is strong, and as I previously mentioned, the acting is terrific – even Farmiga playing a fairly shallow character is completely believable. The excellent supporting cast includes two of Reitman’s favourites (and my own) Jason Bateman and JK Simmons, as well as Danny McBride in a surprisingly effective dramatic turn, and extended one-scene cameos by the always excellent Sam Elliot and promising newcomer Zach Galifianakis.

Up in the Air is in cinemas now
P.S. What follows is one of my favourite trailers of the past twelve months. I'm thinking about writing something about the best trailers of the year (this blog is called Plus Trailers after all). Who'd be interested?